Multi-Family Set-Out Information
Apartments, townhomes, condos, and mobile home parks consisting of 5 units or more fall into the multi-family category. CVSan provides recycling tote bags to multi-family tenants and through grant funding can offer food scrap pails free of charge. Free printed materials are also available, including a flyer illustrating what items go in each cart, a ‘how to collect food scraps’ flyer, and a customizable tenant letter that describes the recycling, organics, and garbage services on site and tips for collecting and sorting waste. To inquire about a free on-site assessment, please contact CVSan at (510) 537-0757 or at www.cvsan.org.
California’s Mandatory Commercial Recycling Law & Alameda County Recycling Ordinance – Property owners and managers of multi-family properties with 5 or more units must:
- Provide containers and service of sufficient number, size, and frequency for recyclable and organic materials at the same or at an equally convenient location as garbage.
- Provide information at least annually to employees, tenants, and contractors describing how to properly use the recycling, garbage, and organics containers, as well as no later than 14 days after move-in and no less than 14 days prior to move-out.
- More information about the ordinance can be found here: www.StopWaste.org/rules
We can help you start or improve your Recycling and Organics collection program today! Contact us or www.cvsan.org for more information.
Multi-Family Bin Bundling Program. Multi-family complexes that subscribe to 1-3 cubic yard metal bin service can combine any two of the three service options (recycling, organics, or garbage) into a bundled rate. Click here for more information on the ACI Multi-Family Bin Bundling Program.
Multi-Family Cart Bundling Program. Multi-family complexes that subscribe to plastic cart service can combine any three service options (recycling, organics, or garbage) into a bundled rate. Click here for more information on the ACI Multi-Family Cart Bundling Program.
Click here for the latest Multi-Family rate information.
THE PERFECT SET OUT:
- Collection is provided Monday-Saturday, no earlier than 6:00 a.m.
- Holiday Service schedule information can be found here.
- Contact us to report graffiti on bins immediately.
- If possible, locate bins in a discrete and secure location to discourage illegal dumping. If illegal dumping does occur, contact Alameda County Public Works by clicking here or calling (510) 670-5500.
- Do not overload bin or carts; the lids must close.
- Overage fees may apply to overflowing bins and carts.
THE ACI MULTI-FAMILY CART COLLECTION PROGRAM ALSO INCLUDES:
- Household batteries: Place AAA, AA, B, C, D, 9V, and small “button” batteries in a sealed heavy-duty plastic bag on top of your blue recycling cart. Liquid batteries such as automobile batteries and lithium-ion batteries are not accepted.
- Textiles: During two specified weeks in the year, on their regular collection day, residents can place bagged textiles (household linens, clothing, etc.) on the curb next to the blue recycling cart. Textiles will be sorted for reuse. Please do not set out textiles that are wet, moldy, or have human biowaste or blood on them. Click here for the textile collection calendar.
WHAT BELONGS IN THE BLUE RECYCLING CART?
- All plastics #1-7 (except foam plastic)
- Bundled plastic bags/wrap
- Scrap metal (up to 2 ft. & 40 lbs.)
- Glass containers
- Aluminum foil products & metal containers
- Clean paper, cardboard, & paper cartons
WHAT DOES NOT BELONG IN THE BLUE RECYCLING CART?
- Ceramics & glassware
- Windows, mirrors, & sheet glass
- Foam plastic
- Juice boxes & pouches
- Food-soiled paper
- Organic material
- Hazardous Waste
KEEP YOUR RECYCLING CLEAN!
- Empty / Depackage Containers – Scrape spoiled/unwanted food into the green organics container.
- Rinse Containers – Avoid contaminating the recycling stream.
- Keep Recycling Loose – Don’t bag them! (except for bundled plastic wrap/bags).
- Avoid Wishcycling – Items that are not recyclable cause contamination and can damage processing equipment.
WHAT BELONGS IN THE GREEN ORGANICS CART?
Food Scraps, Food-Soiled Paper, Yard Trimmings
- Food Scraps
- Waxed paper cartons & paper egg cartons
- Shredded paper in paper bags
- Yard trimmings, uncoated wood & chips, cactus & palm, Branches & Twigs (Up to 6’ in diameter, no longer than 4’)
- Food-soiled paper containers
- Paper towels & napkins, paper plates & cups
- Fats, Oils, and Grease (small amounts)
- Small amounts of cooking oil (hardened or on paper towels)
WHAT DOES NOT BELONG IN THE GREEN ORGANICS CART?
- Plastic (including bags, flower pots, etc.), glass, metal, & aluminum
- Rocks, dirt, & concrete (belong in a construction and demolition debris box.)
- Treated or coated wood (belongs in the gray garbage cart)
- Hazardous Waste
- CVSan offers one free food scrap recycling pail to all households. To receive your pail, visit CVSan offices at 21040 Marshall Street, Castro Valley Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (office closed 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.).
- Vegetarian pet waste is allowed in the organics
- In addition to providing a regular “refresh of food scrap pails and flyers” (which we can donate) there are various tips and strategies to boost participation at your multi-family community. Please visit here for more information.
- AVOID CONTAMINATION! Plastic bags, glass, metal, aluminum, rocks, dirt, concrete, and treated or coasted wood DO NOT belong in the Green Organics containers.
WHAT GOES IN THE GRAY GARBAGE BIN OR CART?
Non-recyclable, non-compostable, non-hazardous materials
- Foam plastic
- Juice boxes & pouches
- Non-fluorescent light bulbs
- Hoses & wire
- Sheet glass (window, mirrors, etc.)
- Treated wood (painted & stained)
- Diapers & personal hygiene products
- Glassware & ceramics
- Cat litter & non-vegetarian pet feces
WHAT DOES NOT BELONG IN THE GRAY GARBAGE BIN OR CART?
- Rocks, dirt and concrete
- Hazardous Waste. fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, paint, used motor oil and filters and Ewaste DO NOT belong in the gray garbage containers. Click here for proper disposal information.
NEED EXTRA GARBAGE SERVICE?
For occasional extras, Extra Service Tags can be purchased from ACI or CVSan.
Contact us or visit CVSan to order.
If you have large items to dispose of, arrange a Bulky and Reuse
Pick-Up. Click here for more information about the Bulky and Reuse pick-up program.
FREE RESOURCES FOR MULTI-FAMILY COMMUNITIES:
Reduce the amount of solid waste sent to landfills by using these items to increase what goes in your organics and recycling containers.
- CONTAINERS: Slim Jim containers with lids (recycling or organics), Recycling caddy bags, Food scrap pails
- SERVICES: Drop boxes for recycling, organics, or garbage
- SIGNAGE: Flyers/posters, Decals/labels, Customized laminated signs to size/shape needed and materials collected, Metal signs available
- BAGS: Food scrap recycling bags, Paper bags for organics or yard trimmings, Reusable Tote Bags (Bring Your Own Bag)
- COMPOST/MULCH: Compost made from the contents of green carts and bins in Castro Valley! Mulch to help landscaping and plantings on your property.
Please visit www.cvsan.org for more information. If you don’t find what you need on the form, or have questions, please www.cvsan.org to see what is available and to request a free on-site assessment for additional assistance.