Household Hazardous Waste
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE does not belong in any ACI container. Please dispose of hazardous waste properly. All items listed below are accepted at Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Facilities. For locations, hours and more information, please visit www.cvsan.org/HHW, www.StopWaste.org/hhw, or call: 800-606-6606
- Paint – additives, latex paint, oil paint, shellac, solvents, stain, thinners
- Adhesives – caulk, cement, epoxy, mortar, putty, stucco, wood glue
- Drugs – old, expired, or unneeded prescription and non-prescription drugs
- Sharps – in approved containers
- E-Waste – computers, printers, radios, TVs, other consumer electronic devices with circuit boards.
- Auto – additives, antifreeze, batteries, fuel, motor oil, oil filters, waxes
- Garden – ant traps, fertilizers, gopher bait, herbicides, pesticides, rat poison, sprays
- Fluorescent & LED bulbs
- Misc./Other – acids & caustics, bleach & cleaners, pool & photo chemicals
- Household Batteries – Can also be collected through the ACI residential curbside program. Place AAA, AA, B, C, D, 9V, and small “button” batteries in a sealed heavy-duty plastic bag on top of your blue recycling cart. Liquid batteries such as automobile batteries and lithium-ion batteries are not accepted.
Sharps and Unwanted Medications Drop Off
Click here for additional pharmaceutical drop-off locations and information on sharps mail-back programs.
Used motor oil disposal for multi-family residents: Take used motor oil and filters to a Household Hazardous Waste facility or a Certified Collection Center. Please see list below for details.
Certified Collection Centers in Castro Valley and San Lorenzo
It’s easy to recycle your used motor oil and filters at Certified Collection Centers (CCCs)! Depending on the CCC, many will take up to five (5) gallons of oil per person per visit. Upon request, and at the retailers’ discretion, CCCs have two options of reimbursement to the customer: CCCs will reimburse you $0.40 per gallon or provide you with an $0.80 coupon good for any item in the store. And remember, don’t forget the filter! Filters can hold up to one quart of motor oil.
- Jiffy Lube – 2492 Castro Valley Blvd. ♦ 510-582-7677
- Kevin L. Hinkley Auto Tech – 5269 Crow Canyon Rd. ♦ 510-881-0761
- Boulevard Auto – 3940 Castro Valley Blvd. ♦ 510-247-9700
- O’Reilly Auto Parts – 2990 Castro Valley Blvd. ♦ 510-881-0761
- Certified Tire and Service Center – 3430 Castro Valley Blvd. ♦ 510-886-9500
Household Hazardous Waste Facilities
Household Hazardous Waste Facilities also accept used motor oil and filters. For locations, hours and appointment requirements, visit stopwaste.org/HHW or call (800) 606-6606 or (510) 670-6460.
Recycles Day Events
Every April and August, CVSan hosts Recycles Day events to collect various items including Household Hazardous Waste and Ewaste. Click here for a chart and more information.