Alameda County Industries
City of San Leandro

Multi-Family Complex Service Guide


What Belongs in the Recyclables?

Paper Products

  • aseptic boxes (juice, soup & soy milk)
  • dairy cartons
  • catalogs, magazines & phone books
  • corrugated cardboard & paper boxes (large or multiple pieces should be flattened and/or cut)
  • junk mail
  • newspaper (including inserts)
  • shredded paper (contained in a paper bag or box)

Glass Bottles & Jars

  • please remove lids and caps and recycle

Aluminum & Metal

  • food & beverage cans
  • aerosol cans (empty)
  • paint cans (empty & dry only)
  • pots & pans
  • scrap pieces (up to 30 pounds per item)

Plastics Containers Labeled with 1-7
Keep them clean! Scrape, wipe, or rinse before placing in the Recyclables containers.

  • bottles & jars
  • tubs & trays


No Plastic Bags

No Film Plastic

No Styrofoam®

No Pressurized Tanks

What Belongs in the Organics?

Food Scraps

  • fruits & vegetables (including peels, pits & rinds)
  • bread, pasta & other grains
  • dairy products
  • egg shells
  • coffee grounds & tea leaves
  • meat & bones

Food-Soiled Paper

  • plates & cups
  • napkins & towels
  • coffee filters & tea bags
  • bags (used to contain/wrap food scraps)
  • paper takeout containers
  • newspaper (used to wrap food scraps or line cart)
  • pizza boxes
  • wax paper & wax-coated boxes
  • wooden chopsticks

Yard Trimmings

  • flowers
  • grass clippings
  • leaves
  • small branches less than 6” in diameter
  • weeds

No Glass, Metal, Styrofoam or Plastic

No Aseptic Boxes (Juice, Soup & Soy Milk)

No Dirt, Rock, Concrete, Brick or Treated Wood

No Liquid Fat, Oil or Grease

No Pet Litter or Feces

No Palm Fronds

The Handy Kitchen Pail!

Line it with newspaper, paper bags, or paper towels to keep it clean. Empty it as needed into your green Organics cart. Simply rinse when done or wash with soapy warm water. Visit the ACI office to pick up your pail!

What Belongs in the Garbage?

Non-Recyclable Glass

  • ceramics & drinking glasses
  • lightbulbs (no fluorescent)
  • mirrors & window glass

Non-Recyclable Paper

  • carbon paper
  • laminated items
  • metallic wrapping paper
  • paper used for cleaning (soiled)
  • photographs
  • vacuum bags

Plastics Not Marked With

  • 6-pack rings (please cut)
  • plastic film & wrap
  • plastic plates & utensils
  • plastic straws & stir sticks
  • records, tapes & CDs
  • shower curtain liners
  • tape (duct, packaging, masking)


  • cotton balls (soiled)
  • rugs & mats
  • shoes, clothing & stuffed animals (that cannot be donated)
  • sponges


  • balloons (latex & mylar)
  • clothes hangers
  • diapers
  • personal hygiene products
  • foam & Styrofoam®
  • hose (garden or rubber)
  • pet feces (bagged)
  • plastic bags
  • rubber bands
  • toothpaste tubes
  • toys (try donating first)
  • wood (painted or stained)

No Organics or Recyclable Materials

No Dirt or Concrete

No Paint, Batteries, Fluorescent Bulbs, Poison, or other Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Before discarding, please consider reusing or donating. Remember: Reduce, Reuse, Rot or Recycle!


Hazardous items like pesticides, fertilizers, pool & photo chemicals, paint/varnish, toxic cleaning products, smoke detectors, mercury-containing items (thermometers, CFLs/fluorescent lights, etc.), unwanted medications, and sharps (needles, lancets, etc.) need to be taken to a hazardous waste collection facility. For more information and a list of Alameda County’s disposal locations, please visit or call the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste team at 1-800-606-6606.


Separate Your Garbage

Garbage (under gray bin and cart)
Landfill-Last Resort!

Organics (under green bin and cart)
Food Scraps,
Food-Soiled Paper,

Recyclables (under blue bin and cart)
Metals, Plastic,
Glass, Paper

Businesses, institutions and multi-family homes within the City of Alameda must sort their Recyclables and Organics from their Garbage. Learn more by visiting or calling 510-891-6575.

Have a large item you need to dispose of?

Please contact ACI for more information about our bulky item program.

Questions regarding service issues or inquiries?

Please contact your property manager or owner.


To see this information in another language, use the translate feature in the upper left corner. Click here for a PDF file of this page in English.